Monday, August 29, 2011

.. so i copied this. but wanted to share it.


Pursuing Meaning
Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ's return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless.
Philippians 2:16

Most people aren't looking for ways to make their life as pointless as possible. Everyone wants to have a life with meaning. We all want to feel like we are worth something. Some of us find worth in what we do and how we look, but we all long to be found worthy.

I have found plenty of ways to do useless things. Instead of preparing for a Bible study, I watch reruns of my favorite TV shows. Instead of praying, I aimlessly surf the Internet. Not all that is "useless" is necessarily bad. For example, instead of helping someone at home, I often go for a run outside, which is important for my physical health. But does it help my spiritual health, if I am avoiding service in order to do it?

The problem comes in when I don’t hold firmly to God's Word--I get my priorities out of order. I compromise my standards in order to look good and make people accept me. My desire to be physically fit sometimes outweighs my desire to serve God. But all these acts are futile if I am pursuing them for the wrong reasons. My worth is not based on what people think of me but on what God thinks of me, and my faith and service to him.

Why is it that the ideals of this world seem to have such a hold on us? How do we make sure that our lives are not worthless? In this race of life, how do we finish strong? We hold onto the Word of God. We step outside of ourselves and serve those around us.

Instead of looking for ways to make yourself look better today, whether that's physically or otherwise, look for someone in need around you. Spend your time ministering to that person. Then you will find that your work is not in vain or useless. If you are following Jesus Christ, your central purpose each day is to live for him. "Hold firmly" to him--the word of life.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

just jessi

My photo
so. im simple. its not about me, all the time i find that when i get in the way of what the Lord is trying to do...things get messed up. i try to love on others. i have great friends that i am very proud of and my family is the iron that sharpens me.