Saturday, January 21, 2012

a letter to Genevieve




beloved Genevieve,

every time i have started to sit down to write this letter i can barely do it because i start to cry. i know, you're probably thinking, "well, Lord have mercy. why?"
well, it because when i think of you, i always think of my Hero. when people ask me who my best friend is, i always reply with Genevieve Mclin Hopkins. shes my grandmother. SHES MY GRANDMOTHER.
i always have a since of pride when i tell people your my grandmother. like i should sign autographs because we carry the same blood. how proud am i to say that im Your granddaughter. im the granddaughter of a Queen.

maw, my memories with you have been stored up as treasures in my heart. i can't even begin to pour out my feelings towards you because i might burst with joy. Thats exactly what you are Pure Joy. a perfect example .you are the most joyful person i know. its contagious. your constant smile will light up the room where ever you go. people run to you because you show them Jesus and do it so well. your strength as a mother to your 12 children has set a beautiful example to teach us to be strong for our own families. your faithfulness to the Lord has shown me that you can't survive without Jesus. your life has taught me that Jesus has to be the center. you have lived that example and your descendants are so very thankful for your love for Jesus.

i love that you make me feel so special. like im your favorite among the 29 of us. how have you been able to do that? how have you been able to love all of us the same? its because you know the true meaning of LOVE. you know how to love. you know how to be loved. you know and love well because Christ lives inside of you and He LOVED YOU first and your love in return shows us, all 29 of us, JESUS. you always point back to Jesus. you have taught me to love and to love like Jesus. thank you maw. thank you for being so faithful. even in the bad times, at every crossroads, you decided to follow Jesus. In the dark times, and in the good times, you are a woman of God, and that has defined your life.

at times you were larger than life to me. you have been so good to me. you have held my hand. let me cry to you. let me sleep with you. rubbed my back and my feet. let me take care you and you take care of me. you have let me hold your hands. your hands that have worked so hard. you came to my ballgames and i always wanted to play extra good when you were there bc i wanted to make you so proud when honestly you could have cared less about the game, you just wanted to see me play. you always had a meal ready. biscuits for days. sweet tea like nobodies business. avon goodies stored in boxes and you never got mad when we piddled with them. chap stick and gum are always a must. the blue house on 19 has a ton of memories. the railroad track and the woods before it was a place for many clubhouses. you never fussed when we probably didn't have any business back there. dancing with you is a FAVORITE of mine. you're the only 89 year old i know that can still cut a rug! hearing stories about your childhood, when you met pawpaw, and 12 kids later always amaze me. i love how even though your kids are all grown you still tend to them as they are still young. that shows that you always need your mom. no matter what. i love the relationship between you and my momma. that teaches me, kelli and jojo to always have a strong relationship with momma. no matter what. i love when you tell me stories about your mom. i love how you let me take care of you. you let me cut your hair. pick out your outfits when we go to town. you even let me pick out your new glass frames recently. now, thats a day that i will treasure forever!!! one of the best days in my 2011. i love how you support me on my mission trips through prayer. and how when i am away your prayers are the ones i feel the most because i know you are praying for me. i love how on birthdays and holidays you give what we need like panies and lip balm...instead of what we want like junk. you always have given to us whats best. i loved going to church with you as a young girl and sitting next to you in church. i can remember you singing your heart out to the Lord. your hospitality, your kindness, you generous heart has been far better than any amount of $ in the whole world. you have taught my heart to be kind. to be faithful. to be generous .. the list goes on. and for that i am forever thankful.

when i think about you proverbs 31:10-31 comes to mind.

10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate... i outlined this in red because its your favorite color..and its YOU!

im so thankful that God made me your granddaughter. im so glad that He knew that i would need YOU. maw, thank you for always tending to me and my heart. thank you for believing in me and my ideas. thanks for holding my hand when times are tough. thanks for always being there. thank you for walking in the ways of the Lord and for teaching me Jesus. you are so loved. i can only hope that one day i will be just like you. YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! im so blessed because of you. im thankful to our Father who created us to be family. im a stronger person because of it.

i feel like i could write for days about you. and the letter still not be ready to give to you. oh mawmaw Genevieve, you are so dear to my heart and its completely full.
God is good. im thankful for you my beloved grandmother/mawmaw/gen/queen

yours forever. merry Christmas.
your granddaughter jessica kayde white


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

just jessi

My photo
so. im simple. its not about me, all the time i find that when i get in the way of what the Lord is trying to do...things get messed up. i try to love on others. i have great friends that i am very proud of and my family is the iron that sharpens me.